Getting started on your building or renovation
Building or renovating a home can be a complicated task and understanding where to start can be overwhelming. RW Design are more than happy to have a non-obligatory chat with you to understand your needs and help to get the ball rolling. You can also find a few tips to get you started below.
Preparing a Brief
A brief will help you to narrow down what it is that you want from your build, and what is most important to you.
A good place to start is to ask:
- What is your maximum budget?
- Where are you willing to compromise and where do you need perfection?
- How many bedrooms, bathrooms and living spaces do you need?
- What size home do you need – cool and compact or large and grand?
- Are green building principles important to you?
- Do you spend most of your time in your lounge, kitchen or bedroom?
- What is in your near future – retirement, a big family or three cocker spaniels?
- Do you need room in your garage for a work space or are you a one car family?
- Do you need a large wardrobe, an ensuite, a scullery, a study, a media room, games room, wine cellar, covered outdoor entertaining – a ballroom?!
- Do you want a local design team?
- Do you want a design and build team or do you already have a preferred building contractor?
Once you have a brief, or if you don’t know where to start and would like help with direction – this is a great time to meet with us to talk about your goals and share your vision. This also gives you an opportunity to ask any questions you may have about us.
Check out Our Six Step Process for an overview of how our simple process can help you take the stress out of building your dream home.
FAQs About RW Design
What do you think is good design?
A good design is a home that works for you and/or your family and looks great.
What is your design philosophy?
We are driven in our design by listening to what our clients want, as its vital that each home works for the family living in it. We work to make sure we understand your priorities and create a design that reflects these needs and wishes. We also use our expertise to ensure your home is designed to maximise nature and positioned to suit the sun.
Can you deliver on our proposed budget?
Yes, once we have discussed your brief, we will be able to provide you with a quote for our work. Our fee structure is competitive and depending on the project we can usually offer a fixed price quotation.
The design will keep in mind your build budget. Once preliminary sketch plans are completed, to ensure your anticipated building budget figure is not exceeded we suggest obtaining a quantity surveyors or builders estimate as early as practicable, prior to the commencement of working drawings.
Do you need to project manage the design?
It is not necessary for us to project manage the construction. If you have chosen a builder, you will be able to discuss with them whether they can project manage your build, or whether you would prefer to act in that role. If required, we can project manage on your behalf.
Do you have any testimonials?
Yes, check out some of the comments we have received from clients on our Testimonials page
Do you do all the design work yourself?
Yes, we have a team of talented designers who will create your design and work alongside you on the plans to build your dream home. We also work in conjunction with landscape architects, interior designers, and structural engineers if required to complete your project.
Do you have preferred builders?
We have worked with a vast number of builders, particularly in North Canterbury and are happy to help you with a recommendation.
Building or Renovating : Where Do I Start?
Building or renovating a home can be a complicated task. The links below are packed with advice, and follow a step-by-step process to help you achieve the home of your dreams — and avoid any nasty surprises.